This page provides some resources about VIZ or GeoVIZ.
(Stay tuned, as I will update the content on this page while I plow and grow in my deep learning garden:))
(Geo) VIZ Scholars/Groups
- Alan M. MacEachren (Google Scholar, GeoVISTA center, GeoVISTA center publications)
- Ben Shneiderman (Google Scholar)
- Niklas Elmqvist (Google Scholar) — website (a very good one, has some pretty good posts)
- Tamara Munzner (Google Scholar) — website (Talks, See also many course slides posted online.)
Selected Talks from Prof. Tamara Munzner (see complete list of Talks HERE).
- A Nested Model for Visualization Design and Validation (2009) — PDF
- When To Walk Away: Questions To Ask In Infovis Projects (2007) — PDF
- Evaluation, When and How (2013) — PDF
- Visualization: Why It’s Tricky, Where To Start (2014) — PDF
- Is Big Data Visualization Possible? (2014) — PDF
- Data Visualization Pitfalls to Avoid (2017, 50 min version, 48 slides) — PDF
- Data Visualization as a Driver for Visual Cognition Research (2017) — PDF
- Characterization of Information Visualization Systems (2018) — PDF
- Entry Points to Visualization: Different Methods for Different Problems (2019) — PDF
- Making Data Accessible Through Visualization (2019) — PDF
- Information Visualization Mini-Course
- 5 hour version
- 6 hour version
(There are videos and demos for some VIZ tools on Dr. Shixia Liu’s home page under Publications)
Some selected papers from Dr. Shixia Liu’s research group:
Liu, S., Wang, X., Collins, C., Dou, W., Ouyang, F., El-Assady, M., … & Keim, D. (2018). Bridging text visualization and mining: A task-driven survey. IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics. (PDF, tool — a visualization tool that is part of a survey of text visualization & mining)
Liu, S., Wang, X., Liu, M., & Zhu, J. (2017). Towards better analysis of machine learning models: A visual analytics perspective. Visual Informatics, 1(1), 48-56.
Jiang, L., Liu, S., & Chen, C. (2018). Recent research advances on interactive machine learning. Journal of Visualization, 1-17.
Liu, S., Chen, C., Lu, Y., Ouyang, F., & Wang, B. (2019). An interactive method to improve crowdsourced annotations. IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics, 25(1), 235-245.
Liu, S., Andrienko, G., Wu, Y., Cao, N., Jiang, L., Shi, C., … & Hong, S. (2018). Steering data quality with visual analytics: The complexity challenge. Visual Informatics.
Liu, M., Shi, J., Li, Z., Li, C., Zhu, J., & Liu, S. (2017). Towards better analysis of deep convolutional neural networks. IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics, 23(1), 91-100.
- Chris North (Google Scholar)
- Georgia Tech Visualization Lab | GT VIS (people)
- Alex Endert (Google Scholar) – website
- Thanks NSF!
Endert’s NSF proposal titled “Detecting and Mitigating Biased Visual Analysis Strategies” has been funded. With generous NSF support, we will develop automated methods to detect and mitigate potentially biased visual data analysis strategies.
- Polo Chau (Google Scholar) – website
Sacha, D., Sedlmair, M., Zhang, L., Lee, J. A., Weiskopf, D., North, S., & Keim, D. (2016, August). Human-centered machine learning through interactive visualization. ESANN. (PDF)
- Jürgen Bernard (Google Scholar)
Bernard, J., Hutter, M., Zeppelzauer, M., Fellner, D., & Sedlmair, M. (2018). Comparing visual-interactive labeling with active learning: An experimental study. IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics, 24(1), 298-308. (PDF)
(Geo) VIZ Charts
- The Python Graph Gallery.
The Most Searched for Visualization Types, Tools, and Books
Finding D3 plugins with ease.
(Geo) VIZ Tools
- Coming soon.
Good (Geo) VIZ / GIS / geospatial Python libraries:
- PySAL –Python Spatial Analysis Library (website, GitHub repo)
- Shapely (GitHub repo, documentation and manual) — Manipulation and analysis of geometric objects in the Cartesian plane
- Cartopy : Support for geographical data (using a wide range of other libraries)
- Coming soon.
Good (Geo) VIZ Posts:
- 39 studies about human perception in 30 minutes (by Kennedy elliott May 2, 2016) — PDF
Great post. If you do any visualization or computer vision, these are things you need to know (but most people still don’t know:))
- Web Mapping with Python and Leaflet (2019-03-28) — PDF — (more Mapping tutorials , Web scraping, Python tutorials on Programming Historian site)
Good (GeoAI) VIZ Posts:
- The Power of Visualization — A picture really does say a thousand words (May 15, 2019) — PDF
- Make your Data Talk! — From 0 to Hero in visualization using matplotlib and seaborn (April2, 2019) — PDF
- What is really data about? (May 15, 2019) — PDF
- A step-by-step guide for creating advanced Python data visualizations with Seaborn / Matplotlib (March 26, 2019) — PDF
Prof. Alan M. MacEachren, Dr. Nai Yang, Dr. Teresa Onorati
Many thanks go to Professor Alan M. MacEachren letting me entering the interesting field of (Geo)VIZ!
References and Further Reading List: