This page provides data handling methods and tools for web dev.
( I created some of the tutorials for Geog461w — Fall 2017, and some are from our students:))
- The simplest way to convert a regular JSON file (with lat/lon properties of course:)) to GeoJSON file
Step 1: Convert JSON file to CSV
use the following web tool to help you convert a JSON file to CSV.
In the demonstration below, I use the json file available at the following page.
to get the direct link to the json file (see the picture below)
Step 2: convert CSVto GeoJSON
Use Open/file to open the csv file, then you should see the points (or whatever your data are) plotted on the map.
Then you can save the uploaded CSV to GeoJSON by hitting Save/GeoJSON
The default saved geojson file name is map.geojson, but you can rename it as whatever name you like (e.g., airports.geojson) after the download complete.
Note: you can convert your csv file to TopoJSON and Shapefile etc see the picture above for other export options.
- JSONify It – CSV to JSON Converter [Ben found this]
(the following is taken from Ben’s micro-tutorial presentation slides.)
- Handy csv conversion online tool [Nick’s group found this]
(Watch the video tutorial below about GeoJSON, if you are not familiar with it, before we go to the different tools to convert other formats to GeoJSON.)
What is GeoJSON and why should you care about it? (YouTube video published on May 9, 2017 by Mike Miller; duration: 14:54mins)
- geojson.io — create, edit, convert to/from GeoJSON files.
It is a browser-based tool for editing GeoJSON files. geojson.io allows users to easily edit and create geographic data in the browser.
- ogr2ogr web client — support many formats, inclusing CSV, Shp, GML, KML, TIGER,
DXF to/from GeoJSON files
- Converting a Shapefile to GeoJSON with QGIS (YouTube video published on Jun 24, 2017; duration: 2:43mins)
- Get GeoJSON data quickly and easily (YouTube video published on Jan 26, 2016; duration: 6:25mins)
Two methods are explained to get GeoJSON data:
1. Export a shapefile to GeoJSON easily through QGIS
2. Create sample GeoJSON data using geojson.io
- Shape Escape — shp files to GeoJSON/TopoJSON
- CSV to GeoJSON
- Mapshaper — Shp, GeoJSON, TopoJSON, CSV, and zip files are supported
- Use ogr2ogr via Node (shapefile to GeoJSON and TopoJSON)